Sunday, February 21, 2010

cintra

I'm feeling great! Why, you may ask?
Because I came home from one of the top five happiest weekends of my life, to find that my adorable flatmates have not only found a house for us all to live in, but found us an award winning 1930s-Art-Deco- New-Zealand-landmark-piece-of-architecture to live in.

This is a watercolour of the building by its architect, Horace Massey.

Our new apartment featured in the founding issue of Building Today, New Zealand's first architectural magazine, in 1936. They had this to say about it:

‘And so the trend towards flat-dwelling was accentuated. To this is united, in Cintra, another powerful trend – modernism. . . . Cintra is modern – modern without being revolutionary, simply the logical use of materials adapted to the sane requirements of living. . . . Cintra is a triumph of compact planning. . . . Cintra is a very fine practical home for modern living’.


After years of living in pretty, if not practical, villas, I'm slightly nervous about living in an apartment. But this is probably the best way to go about it. Could this week BE any better?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Han,

    Quick fire question round... Do you still live at Cintra? Do you have any more info on Cintra, like photos of interiors? Where did you source these two images of Cintra?

    The reason I ask, is because I have - like you in the past - moved into this building and feel the same way you do/did. I am intoxicated by it, but desperately seek to learn more.

    ReplyDelete