Wednesday, August 4, 2010

technicolour




I spent quite some time looking at these slides from the Library of Congress. I'm amazed at how beautifully cinematic they are. Its rare that we are able to see the depression and war eras in colour, and it usually makes them feel more recent, and real. Simultaneously, though, to me, they almost look like frames from a film, like fictions. The man in the second to last image could be Paul Newman. I'm not sure if I like the way in which my reading of these incredible images is so totally influenced by films and Steinbeck novels...There are so many to look at, and so many I almost put up here, but then felt a bit odd about (images of depression-era families and children, for example). Regardless, they're amazing, poignant and beautiful, and you should have a look at them.








No comments:

Post a Comment