Monday, July 6, 2009

geranium kisser

You know those times when you get stuck on one song?
It fits your mood exactly, when it ends you bite your lip then play it again?

Found one. Its called "Two Doves". Its by the Dirty Projectors. Off the Bitte Orca album which I am currently obsessing over. It makes me feel all romantic and like smoking ciggarettes alone on my deck. Which I do.

I really just want to play it to all my friends (especially Lou, cos I KNOW you'd love it, babe).


The whole album is fantastic.

I work for an Opera company, which means I'm learning lots and lots about Opera all the time and discovering what I like and what I don't.

I totally understand that people our age are a bit terrified of it but the more I learn about it, the more I like it. Also, through seeing performances up close (up really, really close) I've gained so much respect for the singers and composers.

So I especially like this aria. Its from Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss and it is sublime.

Here's a version of it from 1960. Just wait til those harmonies kick in!

1 comment:

  1. Hanna
    I so appreciate the music you expose me to and remind me of, and even though you haven't won me to opera's cause in this post, I love the Dirty Projectors. I will give anything you recommend a listen so thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete