Saturday, November 13, 2010

space is the place


The other day I was looking on the internet for the planetarium because I thought going there would be a fun activity for my workmates (we do outings like this sometimes, go karting, cooking classes too) or friends. I accidentally searched for observatory though, not thinking about the difference, and found this and then this. The fact that a website called places of astronomical interest in Australia even exists was enough to be a highlight of my week, but it gets better. It turns out the Old Melbourne Observatory is open every Monday in spring for tours called Gallilleo's Satellites and I'm going, tomorrow night.

You may not know this about me, if you don't know me at all, but, I LOVE SPACE. I have no idea what goes on on these tours and the weather's been kind of shitty which doesn't bode well for a building with no ceiling, but I am still incredibly excited. It helps that the tours are conducted by members of the Astronomical Society - "a volunteer organisation for astronomical enthusiasts" - people who I am excited to meet.

The cat/space posters are by a woman named Boya who I was loosely aquainted to quite a few years ago, I love them and plan to buy and frame them.

1 comment: